NEWS AND RESOURCES
THE OPIOID EPIDEMIC FACTS*
- In 2009, the abuse of prescription painkiller drugs accounted for more than 475,000 emergency room visits. This number represents a twofold increase in drug-related emergency room visits since 2005.
- Opiate use and addiction is linked to at least 50 percent of the major crimes in the United States; at least half of all suspects arrested for violent crimes (homicide, assault, etc.) were under the influence of opiates when arrested.
- Unintentional prescription drug overdose is the number one cause of preventable death in America since 2010
- Since 2000, the number of overdose deaths from pain medications has increased by 276 percent.
- There are 129 deaths every day in the U.S. due to Opioid Addiction.
2014 Opioid Related Death Rates
Scroll over the map to see state-specific rates (rate per 100,000 people in that state).
INFORMATION ABOUT BUPRENORPHINE WAIVERS
Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants
- Buprenorphine Waiver Application Eligibility Requirements
- State-Specific Nurse Practice Laws and Regulations
- Training Information and Waiver Application Updates
Additional Information and Resources
- Summary of CARA legislation
- Current News and Updates about CARA
- Pocket Guide: Medication-Assisted Treatment of Opioid Use Disorder